Chief Representative, WWF Beijing Office
Position title: Chief Representative, WWF Beijing Office
Supervises: WWF China Leadership Team
I. Mission of the Role:
Develops and leads WWF China to be a leading voice for the harmony of human and nature; builds and manages the leadership team to work across different areas of environmental protection and sustainable development; shapes the sustainability agenda of China domestically and globally to deliver on WWF’s global priorities; plays a leading role within the WWF Network;promote cooperation between WWF China and external strategic partners.
II. Major Functions:
• Leads strategic planning and institutional development of WWF China;
• Establishes WWF China as the leading conservation NGO in China and enables the office to play a leading role in the WWF Network;
• Ensures WWF China is effectively and efficiently managed in all key areas – conservation, operations, finance, HR,public engagement, partnership development and governance;
• Provides effective leadership and line management for all members of the leadership team;
• Provides thought leadership on all key issues at the highest organizational level and manages key partnerships in and outside China to ensure optimal communication and mutually beneficial relationships;
• Ensures effective design and delivery of conservation program with all relevant internal and external stakeholders to achieve WWF’s global goals;
• Builds and maintains strong relationships with key partners across the WWF network and with external partners inside and outside China.
III. Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provides overall direction and leadership in developing and executing WWF China strategic objectives and institutional vision;
• Further strengthens WWF’s profile,reputation and credibility in China and influences policies and best practices in line with WWF’s global program priorities;
• Initiates and leads strategic partnerships relevant for WWF China’s strategic plan and institutional vision as well as WWF Network’s key global initiatives;
• Effectively leads, coordinates, manages and develops the leadership team and supports them in executing the strategy and managing talent and resources for WWF China;
• Builds a positive,engaging, creative, safe and respectful work environment for all staff;
• Leads staff effectively through creation of a shared vision ensuring all staff understand their contribution;
• Ensures WWF China’s activities comply with relevant government MoU legal requirements and ethical standards as well as domestic legal requirements;
• Ensures the compliance of WWF China with WWF International and agreed WWF Network policies, standards and procedures, in particular the Fraud and Corruption Policy;
• Represents WWF China at network meetings, government affairs, industry leaders, key supporters and stakeholders;
• Ensures effective communications and partnerships with WWF Network, government, international organizations, other non-governmental organizations, industry and public to ensure strong profile of WWF China and its activities, as well as leveraging opportunities between national, regional and global levels;
• Contributes to leadership of WWF China in the WWF Network;
• As a co-chair of the China Partnership Group (CPG), convenes all CPG meetings and ensures all relevant decisions and recommendations are timely and effectively implemented;
• Perform other duties as requested by the Director General of WWF International;
• Work closely with One Planet Foundation Board Chair for the strategic partnership, support them to ensure the effective operation of an engaging governing board and its related instruments.
Required Functional Skills:
• At least 10 years professional experience in a leadership role with demonstrated success in leading national or multi-national multi-site organizations;
• Proven knowledge and experience of the not-for-profit sector, preferably of environmental non-government organizations;
• Significant public profile particularly regarding conservation, environment and business issues;
• Experience working with and influencing government officials/ departments and other key stakeholders in China;
• Advanced University degree in Business Management, International Relations/Development, Public Administration or other related fields;
• Additional training and/or degree in the field of Environmental Science, Natural Resource Management,Climate Change, is a strong asset;
• Superior oral and written communication skills in Mandarin and English.
• Chinese national with track record of successful working experience in China is preferred.
Required Behavioral Skills:
• A proven leader with the capability of growing an organization’s impact and building future leadership and talent in the organization
• High level negotiation,collaborating and influencing skills and the capacity to develop and maintain strong relationships at all levels in the business, not-for-profit, scientific and political communities;
• Have networks at the highest levels of Government and Business;
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to represent an organization at a range of local and international fora, in the media and with the general public;
• Very strategic and demonstrated experience in developing, implementing and evaluating strategic plans;
• Track record of building organizational talent by nurturing performance culture and encouraging empowerment and delegation;
• Decisive, courageous and resilient;
• Passion for conservation and WWF’s mandate;
• Committed to equal opportunity employment policies.
V. Working Relationships:
• Internal: Works closely with the Director General of WWF International, and with the One Planet Foundation Board Chair for a successful strategic partnership. Interacts with WWF staff on a daily basis, as required. Co-ordinates and interacts with WWF International Secretariat and Network staff as appropriate.
• External: Interacts with governmental institutions, international organizations, non-governmental organizations, business, academic institutions, media and donors.
This job description covers the main tasks. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organizational needs.
• Candidates should send a cover letter addressing the selection criteria together with a CV in English and Chinese as email attachments to HR@wwfchina.org.
• Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email and please indicate your salary expectation within the cover letter.