Program Director, Wildlife
Position: ProgramDirector, Wildlife
Reports to: Practice Head, Wildlife
MajorFunctions: The Director of wildlife practice is responsible to add value to achieve WWF mission, leading teams to ensure scalable conservationimpact in China and increased WWF China’s influence and recognition.
The Director of wildlifepractice needs to
· Perform overall management to diverse teamsspread throughout the Yangtze finless porpoise program, snow leopard program,other icon species and non-flagship species projects, and ensure the synergy ofrelated species program and other practice programs.
· Is responsible for related strategies developmentthat can deliver WWF GPF and WWF China’s Conservation Strategy
· Ensure the scalable conservation impactsand effective use of financial resources in the implementation of the strategy
· Build strong partnerships and engage keystakeholders including governmental and NGO partners for the leverage andlasting impacts
· Improve the expertise of conservation &program management
· Represent WWF China for the topics of relatedspecies conservation within and beyond China.
· Support WWF Network and China domestic fundraising.
MajorDuties and Responsibilities:
1. Isresponsible for people and team management of the Yangtze finless porpoiseprogram, snow leopard program and other icon species & non-flagship speciesprojects.
2. Assemblethemes of protected area effective management, community sustainabledevelopment, ecosystem health assessment and climate change adaptation, policy &technology innovation, NGO and public engagement, to develop an integrated relatedspecies conservation strategy with a portfolio of fast development of China& pilot of global conservation innovation.
3. Ensurethe cohesiveness and synergy within wildlife practice programs.
4. Establishexpertise of program management & conservation that can enhance thelearning within wildlife practice’s programs and other practice or the world.
5. Lead related policywork at national and international levels, with a particular focus on securingstrategic changes in national conservation policies, and developing thelinkages and integration of national and field activities.
6. Developtools and materials for information, communications and campaigning on WWF’s wildlifeconservation activities
7. Keepabreast with developments in the field and alert the WWF Network on emergingissues and trends
8. Providetechnical, communications and marketing support, strengthen capacity and skillsto ensure effective implementation of the related conservation strategyfollowing WWF program standards.
9. Beresponsible for proposal development, annual work plan and budget preparation,monitoring and reporting progress and results, and taking adaptive managementapproaches to ensure the effective implementation of these strategies andoperation plans
10. Coordinate within all units of WWF Chinafor cross-cutting issues to ensure the scale of conservation impact andrepresenting related wildlife species conservation strategy in regions withinWWF China, WWF network and external partners including aid agencies, governmentpartners and non-government and private sector etc. in line with WWF Chinaconservation strategy and business plan.
11. Work closely with the other directors andsenior expert of wildlife practice, WWFChina communication and corporate team,other practices likes water, C&E, policy, marketing, etc. to ensure thescaling up of WWF China’s conservation impact and influence
12. Work together with the field stations’ teamsto strengthen partnership and collaboration with stakeholders such asgovernment agencies, academies, NGOs, private sectors and local communities asrelevant to achieve the Strategic goals/Objectives.
13. Develop and maintain public engagement andadvocacy channels and platforms to engage public, NGOs, business communities,and policy makers
14. Establish and sustain a network orstrategic alliances with other NGOs, donors and other potential partners toachieve the related wildlife species conservation strategy and WWF Action Planswithin and beyond China.
15. Build and maintain relations with WWFGlobal wildlife practice and other practice, other Network offices and externalpartners
16. Represent WWF China on topics of related wildlifespecies when engaging with WWF network and external partners including aidagencies, government partners and non-government and private sectors
17. Work with fundraising team in response todevelop fundraising products and proposals, provide technical support in donoracquisition, engagement and retention
18. Perform other tasks designated by the supervisor
Internal Working Relationships
1. Dailymanagement of Yangtze finless porpoise program team, snow leopard program team,other icon and non-flagship species team and routine contact with WWF-China fieldstations.
2. Routinecontact with other related program teams and units on ODD and operation teams.
External Working Relationships
1. Regularcontact with WWF network donors, and related WWF offices
2. Regularcontact with Government Agencies.
3. Regularcontact with other donors including corporate, NGOs, media and main partners.
1. Knowledge:A Master’s degree in conservation science or a related discipline, e.g.conservation,
2. Projectmanagement or in a relevant field is preferred. Strategic thinking andvisionary
3. Experience:Minimum of 10 years relevant work experience, first hand conservationexperience on WWF priority species in the field a distinct advantage. Provenmanagement of large scale programme. Hands-on experience in programme planning,project management and monitoring, as well as international conservationexperience will be assets.
4. Skillsand Abilities: Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work withpeople of diverse cultures essential. Strong written and oral communicationskills in English and Chinese. Experience in working with teams andcoordinating team work will be essential, as well as building partnershipsoutside WWF. Creative, strategic personality in order to develop a plan fornature conservation in which partnerships with other people and organizationsplay an important role. Good working knowledge of computer and familiarity withthe use of electronic media.
WWF China is under the implementation of largescale range species conservation in China.
Since 2002, Yangtze finless porpoise has beenas the core part of WWF China conservation work along the central and lowerYangtze mainstream. Working together with both global and local partners, WWF Chinahas been exploring the freshwater dolphin conservation by in-situ demonstrationpilot, policy advocacy as well as public engagement, focusing on securingsurvival of wild Yangtze finless porpoise in the natural habitat, helping todeliver the commitment of freshwater dolphin conservation together with thewhole WWF network. The Yangtze finless porpoise conservation coordinates withinWWF China: wildlife practice, freshwater practice, communication team, corporateengagement department. Within WWF network: WWF international wildlife practice,freshwater practice, WWFUS, WWFUK, WWFNL, WWFSE, WWF Mekong, etc.
Snow leopardconservation is global impact topic and WWF China has been initiated SLconservation program since 2016 under the WWFUK, WWFNL support. SL program hasbeen implemented in Gansu, Xinjiang.